Print This Page Bookmark This Page


  Skip Navigation Links
HomeExpand Home
About UsExpand About Us
Independent Living in
The Colony
Expand Independent Living in<br/>The Colony
Aging-In-Place
The Heritage
Expand Aging-In-Place<br/>The Heritage
Aging-In-Place
The Ridgewood
Expand Aging-In-Place<br/>The Ridgewood
Nursing Care at The VillasExpand Nursing Care at The Villas
Fitness CenterExpand Fitness Center
Online GivingExpand Online Giving
CareersExpand Careers
VolunteersExpand Volunteers
AuxiliaryExpand Auxiliary
PEERsExpand PEERs
News & PublicationsExpand News & Publications
Photo Album
Events
Visit Our CampusExpand Visit Our Campus
PartnersExpand Partners
Resources

The Cornerstone

St. Paul's Without Walls

VNA Alliance Home Healthcare

Join Our Mailing List

Donate Online Now to St. Paul's

St. Paul's is an Eden Alternative Community

Visit Us On Facebook

Follow Us On Twitter

View Our YouTube Videos

Healthcare Venture Alliance
About Us
 
A Registered Eden Alternative Community   History   Mission   Vision
CORE Values   Board Members   Administration   Privacy Statement     Contact Us

 
St. Paul's, historically related to the United Church of Christ, has been serving the needs of residents of western Pennsylvania and the surrounding states for 140 years. Originally created in 1867 in Butler, Pennsylvania, to provide care for orphans of the Civil War, St. Paul's moved to Greenville nearly a century ago. While caring for orphans remained a primary focus during most of the Home’s first 100 years, it broadened its mission to serve the elderly as early as the 1920s. Initially housing the elderly in homes along Eagle Street in Greenville, this portion of the Home’s service was moved to the campus along PA Route 58 in 1946. The orphans and children’s care program ended in 1971. The main portion of what was the Health Center was built in 1974 with further expansion and addition of the Alzheimer’s Unit in the 1980s.
  
Identifying the need for an independent living community for seniors, St. Paul's initiated Estate Cottages in Cottage Colony in 1973. The community grew to 58 cottages and 17 apartments. To serve seniors who needed more personal care, yet who continued to seek a level of independence, The Ridgewood assisted living facility was completed in 1995. A second assisted living facility, The Ridgewood at Shenango Valley, was built in Hermitage in 1998. This facility is a cooperative venture between St. Paul's and UPMC Horizon Hospital. In 2002, Cottage Colony began to expand through Woodland Cottages; single family homes.  To date, 7 new cottages have been built with lots for 27 more to come over the next few years.  In 2005. St. Paul's opened its state-of-the-art skilled nursing facility, The Villas.  The Villas is home to 192 residents in a residential setting while meeting their nursing care needs.   In July of 2006, renovations of the previously occupied health center were complete and The Heritage at St. Paul's opened offering aging-in-place, independent and assisted living.  
 
St. Paul's was dedicated on December 10, 1867 in Butler, PA, by the Pittsburgh Synod of the Reformed Church as a home to care for destitute orphaned children.  The Home was moved to Greenville, PA, on February 24, 1909 in new facilities constructed through contributions from the Reformed Church congregations of Western Pennsylvania. 
 
Health care services for the aging began in Greenville in 1927 at a leased house on Eagle Street.  Later this house and another were purchased for expanded care of the aging.  The Greenville facilities were moved from the center of town to a site adjacent to the Children’s Home on September 7, 1946.  This site was the 46 acre estate of Senator Frank Fay and was purchased through contributions from the Reformed congregations in Western Pennsylvania.  In 1939 the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Churches brought the Dorseyville Home for the Aged into the Synod.  The administration of the Dorseyville Home and St. Paul's were merged into a single corporate structure in 1955.  The children’s home was closed in 1971 and total emphasis was placed on caring for the aging.  In 1974 the Dorseyville unit was closed and its remaining residents were transferred to the newly expanded Health Center of St. Paul's. 
 
Today St. Paul's encompasses 616 acres of beautiful rolling farmland less than one mile from the Borough of Greenville.  The Villas caring for 192 skilled residents, is located on the southern part of the campus.  Located adjacent to The Villas is The Ridgewood, an aging-in-place residence offering 40 studio style apartments.  The Colony offers Estate and Woodland homes and one-bedroom apartments and is located on the north end of the campus.  The total capacity of all areas is approximately 450 residents.  St. Paul's has been a leader in finding new and better ways for serving the needs of older adults.
Back Back
 
Privacy Policy                    Sitemap © 2017 St. Paul’s 339 East Jamestown Road Greenville, PA 16125 1-724-588-7610